Present Continuous Tense Definition and Example Sentences
Present Continuous Tense
The Present Continuous Tense, which is the most widely used tense form among English grammar topics, usually describes events and situations that occur at the time of speaking. Other situations where it is used in addition are as follows:
- A situation or event that continues for a long time.
- Plans to be realized very soon.
- An event or situation that has changed and continues to change.
As one of the Present Continuous Tense rules, there is an auxiliary verb between the subject and the verb in the sentence, and the verb always takes the suffix “-ing”.
Structure of Positive, Negative, and Question Sentences by Subject
In affirmative sentences, the subject “I” takes the auxiliary verb “am” and “she/he/it” takes the auxiliary verb “is”. Subjects “you/we/they” have the auxiliary verb that is “are”.
- I am talking to you right now.
- She is calling out to you.
- They are coming here now.
Auxiliary verbs belonging to the subjects in negative sentences take the suffix “not”, thus giving the sentence a negative meaning.
- I am not studying for the exam today.
- He is not coming here today.
- We are not working today.
Auxiliary verbs are placed at the beginning of the sentence to form question sentences.
- Are you coming here?
- Is he doing his homework?
Here are Present Continuous Tense Example Sentences;
1. You are not sleeping now.
2. They have been arguing.
3. You see, I’m eating.
4. My mother is coming home.
5. What are you doing now?
6. The fans are shouting with joy.
7. He is not working very hard.
8. I’m not watching TV right now.
9. Children are playing in the park.
10. What is Mr. Samuel doing?
11. The company is doing well this year.
12. Birds are chirping in the trees.
13. We are printing a new book.
14. You look sad. Why are you crying?
15. She is playing football.
16. People are waiting for the plane to take off.
17. She is not going with you.
18. I’m going to the doctor right now.
19. I am not giving it back to you.
20. Many workers are participating in sports.