Simple Present Tense Definition and Example Sentences
Table of Contents
Present Simple Tense
The way to learn English is to learn tense forms, and the Present Simple Tense is the subject with the simplest rule among these grammar topics. The usage areas of the Present Simple Tense can be listed as follows:
- Conditions or events that are known to occur continuously or at regular intervals.
- Unchangeable situations, events, and feelings always remain the same.
- Facts, events, or situations that are always considered true.
- Events or situations that are planned far in advance. Even if there is a future tense meaning in these sentences, it can also be expressed with the Present Simple Tense rule.
- In instructions or location/direction information.
Sentence Structures and Examples
In affirmative sentences, the verb is in the nominative form and “-s” appear only if she/he/it is subject.
- I take a walk in the park every morning.
- She loves playing the guitar.
Negative sentences use “don’t” for I/you/we/they and “doesn’t” for she/he/it.
- They don’t want to jog.
- He doesn’t always pay attention to the food he eats.
In interrogative sentences, “do” for I/you/we/they come at the beginning of the sentence, and “does” for she/he/it comes at the beginning of the sentence.
- Do you like to cook?
- Does she like to receive gifts?
NOTE: The verb is always used in the nominative form in negative and interrogative sentences.
Here are Simple Present Tense Example Sentences;
1. My father loves me very much.
2. You don’t have children.
3. You know that I love you.
4. You love me.
5. Cars in the parking lot are very expensive.
6. The sea is really beautiful.
7. They don’t go to school tomorrow.
8. If he is available, ask him to call me.
9. Every child likes an ice cream.
10. Cats hate water.
11. Scientific articles are written in the company.
12. He doesn’t teach math.
13. The train leaves at 10:30 in the morning.
14. She always forgets her purse.
15. The trees here are very tall.
16. The train leaves the station at 11 p.m. tomorrow.
17. He comes here every week.
18. When does class begin tomorrow?
19. How often does it rain in London?
20. Do they eat meat?